Platelet rich plasma therapy for Plantar Fasciitis
What is Plasma Therapy?
Plasma therapy is a form of regenerative medicine that uses patient’s own blood cells to accelerate healing the specific damaged area. It is an FDA approved procedure.
How Does Plasma Therapy Work?
- Helps in the regeneration of new cartilage
- It inhibits inflammation & delays the progression of OA (Osteoarthritis)
- Increases the production of lubricating fluid in the joint naturally, thereby reduces the friction between the 2 bones.
Who All Are Eligible Candidates for Plasma Therapy?
Plasma injections are used for treat variety of musculoskeletal pain & injuries.
Plasma injections regenerate the damaged cartilage and also modulates the joint environment & reduces inflammation. This helps to reduce the knee pain and also prevents the progression of Osteoarthritis.
- Tendon, ligament, muscle injuries
For example: Tennis elbow, Golfer’s elbow, rotator cuff tear.These injuries generally take long time to heal. Treating them with plasma injections will help to stimulate the healing process, decrease the pain & enable a return to activities quicker.
Who are Not Eligible for Plasma Therapy?
- Candidates who have blood & bleeding related disorders
- Candidates who are taking blood thinning therapy and cannot stop them temporarily.
- Candidates who have infection, cancer etc. at the injection site.
How is This Procedure Done?
To create plasma, a small sample of your blood is drawn (similar to a lab test sample) and placed in a centrifuge that spins the blood at high speeds, separating the platelets from the other blood components.
The concentrated platelet rich plasma is then injected into and around the point of injury, kickstarting and significantly strengthening the body’s natural healing process.
How Long Does the Procedure Take?
It is a quick procedure. From the time of preparation to the injection of plasma, it takes approximately 30minutes to 1hour. In fact, patient can return to their work or routine activities from next day of the procedure itself.
What are the Expected Results?
- PRP therapy provides long lasting pain relief.
- Initial improvement may be seen within a few weeks, gradually increasing as the healing progresses.
- USG images have shown definitive growth in the cartilage after Plasma therapy, confirming the healing process.
- Taking the RIGHT treatment at RIGHT time is important as it greatly reduces the requirement of surgery and also delays the progression of disease.
Precautions to be Followed After PRP Injection
- Weight reduction
- Doing proper exercise regularly is very important for long term results.
- Make simple lifestyle modifications like avoid squatting, avoid sitting or standing for long hours etc.
Advantages of Plasma Therapy (when compared to above treatment options)
- Good long lasting pain relief
- FDA approved procedure
- No surgery required
- Quick recovery
- Cost effective
Any Side Effects of Plasma Therapy?
Since plasma therapy prepared from the patient’s own blood, is injected into the same patient’s body, the chances of allergic reaction / side effects are ALMOST NIL. It is a kind of NATURAL THERAPY where in the tissues / joint remains NATURAL.